Friday, June 18, 2010

New Series of WDYTYA UK 2010

Hello All -

The BBC has just announced the new series of Who Do You Think You Are for 2010. Their website says the new series will start at the end of July. The new celebrities appearing this time around are: Bruce Forsyth, Rupert Everett, Monty Don, Jason Donovan, married couple
Rupert Penry-Jones and Dervla Kirwan, Alan Cumming, and Alexander Armstrong. The link below will give more details on the upcoming show.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment_and_arts/10340178.stm

Just to briefly mention the fact that the BBC has shown the first episode of the US version with Sarah Jessica Parker this past weekend. For us in the UK, well at least for me anyway, the series cannot be seen via the NBC website - I think country restrictions of some sort. I haven't yet looked to see if the other epsiodes will be shown on the BBC. Hopefully they will be.

I know it is late in the game for me to do any sort of review of this first episode, but last weekend was the first time I was able to view it. In general I enjoyed it - I love watching any sort of genealogy on tv. Just a few thoughts that did come to mind is that I did find that it went a bit fast compared to the UK version. I also thought that you didn't really get to see how the lines of Sarah's ancestry were developed - jumps the generations a bit due to the fast pace of the show. I did cringe a bit when I saw her pencil too close to the original 1600s document. There were no white protective gloves worn as one would do in an archive touching very old documents. I cannot be certain of how really excited Sarah was - a bit too over the top for me. I have read other reviews that have noticed the same things. I guess I am more used to the UK version.
But overall the US version was good and worth watching.

Looks like it will be a good Summer of genealogy tv to watch - us geneaholics will be satisfied.

No comments: